Some excellent rule ideas (borrowed)

Reading through some of the various blogs that I subscribe to, I'm always amazed at the inventiveness of my fellow gamers and their ability to create exciting and functional rules that add to (rather than replace) rules from the existing D&D or AD&D (and simulacra). Two that just caught my attention have to do with shield functionailty and weapons rules for non-variable weapons damage (for the older systems where ALL weapons did 1d6 damage). First up are the shield rules from the blog Aeons and Auguaries Link which are in turn borrowed from rules created by Trollsmyth Trollsmyth. I found the shield rules of an exciting way to use shields in game to be more than a mere +1 to AC. In essence, it assigns shield points (hit points for the shield) which can be used to absorb the damage from a particular attack, at the expense of the shield's integrity. It is akin to Palladium Fantasy rules use of SDC to absorb damage. I know a lot of folks look at Palladium with much disdain and outright hostility, but I think that they actually have somethings that are interesting and I do like to peruse the Palladium Fantasy books (love Kent Burles' artwork). At any rate, I like the idea of using a shield as more than a simple numerical boost and give it a sense of in game verisimilitude.

Next, the consolation weapon damage rules for non-variable weapon damage at Jeff Rients game blog. OD&D used a d6 to determine weapon damage for all weapons. Having come to the gaming table in '82 and being an avid AD&D proponent, I didn't really care much for this and much prefered AD&D's approach of variable weapons damage. However, Jeff posits a new approach for skilled fighters that have alternate effects that are more interesting than mere damage and are based upon the type of weapon used. I really like the idea and it is seriously making me reconsider my dislike for non-variable weapon damage. Go have a look and good gaming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neurodiversity and Dragons - the adventure begins!

I like pie!