Blogging A to Z: X is for X-Men

When in doubt, go back to your root right? Well, comic books is where it all started for me. Yeah, the gateway drug into the greater nerdery. As a kid, I think Batman was a favorite but when I entered my teens, I discovered the X-Men. And things changed for me. This was the first time that I could really identify with the characters. Sure, they were mutant rebel outcasts, but I was going through puberty when I discovered them and those changes alomost seemed like a mutation. Add to that that I was almost cataclysmically shy, just got braces, had to start wearing glasses, grew to be a 6'2" super skinny (oh, yeah, that was long ago wasn't it?), and all the rest, and I really felt like a mutant. Since my mother had remarried and we relocated to Nuremburg, Germany from Mascoutah, Illinois - yeah, I felt like an outcast as well. So the X-Men spoke to me for sure. For me, the classic team was Len Wein and Dave Cockrum. The John Byrne/Chris Claremont idea is good (and many folks cite it as the best X-Men era), but I tell yah, Len and Dave really hit a home run. Afterall, they are the team that is responsible for bringing us the New X-Men team of Storm, Colosus, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, and Thunderbird. Not to mention that Dave Cockrum's work on the X-Men is top notch. Witness this classic image:


Good stuff for sure. If you want to see more of Cockrum's work you can visit this tribute web site here. along with his X-Men work, he did some fantastic stuff for another one of my favorites, Legion of Superheroes. It's well worth looking up his stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neurodiversity and Dragons - the adventure begins!

I like pie!