Thought of the Day Thursday: On Home Brews

Damn, missed my blog post yesterday. But that’s OK, I spent my day in Venice, City of Canals. I never get tired of going there. It’s funny that even though it is only 45 minutes away, we haven’t been there in almost a year. Venice really screams out to have a fantasy setting based there. Rich history, very mysterious (what the heck is down this crazy twisting alley?), kind of reminds me a bit of Sigil in Planescape. It won’t be long before the Venetians are celebrating Carnivale. This year, my wife and I have resolved to go. They have some very incredible costumes that I’m sure will inspire some gaming ideas for me. This time next year I’m hoping to visit Istanbul, Marrakesh, or Tunis (maybe all three). I have a feeling those will inspire some gaming impulses…

I’ve been think a lot about where the OSR is going and all of us hobbyists tinkering away like mad in our basements, garages, or kitchen tables to create our own rule sets, settings, etc. I know there have been some naysayers that think this will invariably bring about a glut of OSR material that will be unsupportable. I’m not quite sure that I concur. While I do think that it may be a bit naïve for anyone to think that they are going to create the next Dungeons and Dragons and storm the industry to bring tabletop gaming back to the heights it enjoyed in the early 1980’s (hey, it could happen – very slight chance, but hey – keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for those stars right?), I think that this really shows the strength of the hobbyist industry and shows that yeah, we’re still out here and it really doesn’t matter what the corporate types think we want for gaming; creative, imaginative types will always be able to forge our own destiny. I really equate the OSR more with home brewing (as in beer) or any other hobbyist endeavor. Sure, someone might come up with a great homebrew that does well for itself and carves out its own little market niche; but for the most part, most folks will be sharing the fruits of their labors with their friends and family. I think that for anyone to say that OSRIC, Swords and Wizardry, and Labyrinth Lord are the end of the story and no new systems need apply is a bit like saying that everyone should only run ready made adventures instead of crafting your own. We all have our takes and our preferences (I love a dark brew like a dunkel doppel bock) but it is nice to partake in something different and it is often quite refreshing (sometimes a pilsner is just the thing, or a Heffeweisen) and even using others ideas to add to our own and come up with something unexpectedly good (Winkler Brau’s Heffepils is quite good!). Occasionally there will be an offering that’s ambition outstrips its execution (way too much yeast), but that’s OK. I’d rather have a ton of hobbyists putting their stuff out there for the rest of us hobbyists to ooooohhhhhh and aaaaahhhhhh over than a couple of professional gamer types handing me an imaginary world. Sure, some of the hobbyists and their offerings will ultimately wither away, but I think the best gauge of hobbyist gaming is not necessarily the number of breakout superstars, but the proliferation dedicated hobbyists making their own brews.

Comments

  1. I think that sums it up well. To use different metaphor, I don't this scene will produce the next chart-topping band, but it does great a really vibrant local music scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Johnathan and Trey. The OSR very much reminds me of an underground music scene. We have our "bands" that flirt with the mainstream and are media darlings, and others that spit in the face of the industry. In the end it is the do-it-yourself mentality that drives our old-school community. I am not sure I have ever met a gamer who played a published game as written. Everyone creates their own house rules. The OSR just openly endorses this time honored tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh. I grew up in the punk scene. Gamers argue about games the way punks argue about music. :) Perfect analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in the punk scene too. Lots of similarities (especially in the old schoolers). A lot of "I'm more old school than you". Reminds me of the "I'm more punk rock than you" posturing. I didn't fall into that then and don't do it now. I've actually compared the OSR to the music scene quite regularly. I often tell my wife that I'm in the Garage Band phase of my game development and artistic career. Will it ever go further? I'm not worried about it. I'm just glad to get to jam ;).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neurodiversity and Dragons - the adventure begins!

I like pie!