On Old School Adventure Paths

Right now, it seems the vogue for Old School type adventures is the Hex Crawl or similar, non-linear adventure type. I totally am down with that, but I was wondering, is there room for an “adventure path” series of linked adventures? I know there are a few such as the Sea of O’SR project, and the continuation of the 1e AD&D Giants series by R.C. Pinnell. I’m working on Isle of Maedsid, which I see as actually belonging to TWO “Adventure Paths”. The first being the Sea of O’SR and the second, being part of a series that I’ve been mulling over for about the past six years or so that I call the Shadow of the Umbra Palace Saga. Maedsid, and much of the other adventures such as Warrens of Polstrus Lev, Sinister Sightings at Dustchappel Downs, and Basalt Keep of Wilven the Yellow are designed to be able to be used as standalone adventures or as part of a wider (perhaps a bit non-linear) story arc. I’m really interested in exploring higher, non-euclidean geometries/dimensions, transhumanism, planar adventures, strange entities and so on. I don’t really care for the idea of railroad type adventures so I’m thinking of doing this as sort of Easter Eggs, or themes in one adventure might be carried over to another adventure. So think along the lines of more a Lovecraftian Mythos building rather than a Tolkienesque linear story progression. Will I be able to pull it off? I guess that remains to be seen, but I am working on it. Maedsid is coming along nicely. I have the island map completed and the first level of the funerary site drawn up and keyed. I just need to flesh out the details and maybe add more levels. I don’t intend for it to be a huge adventure, but a nice appetizer to something like Basalt Keep which will be rather large. I’m also working on some art - even going so far as to maybe doing a hand painted front cover with perhaps my lovely wife helping me on the back cover and layout? I’m really excited to try my hand at the writing and production side.

Comments

  1. The general mood of the OSR has been towards sandboxy type adventures, but I don't see why a more narrative campaign wouldn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I’m really interested in exploring higher, non-euclidean geometries/dimensions, transhumanism, planar adventures, strange entities and so on."

    That's always interested me as well. :)

    But to your main point: I think a lose association of details or building thematic elements in nice for an adventure path rather than an epic plotline running through. The question will be how does this differ from simply a well detailed sandbox? Or does it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Trey - good point. I'm not sure that it does differ from a very well detailed Sandbox. I'd really like for the "adventure path" not be necessarily one adventure after another that needs to be completed, but instead pieces of a quilt that can develop into a overall story if desired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This interests me. I don't have any experience with adventure paths or even a lot of experience with sandboxes. It seems, though, you could have a sandbox with sites sprinkled in it that, if explored in a certain order would reveal different things than just exploring them randomly. The simplest thing that comes to mind is one place has a key to unlock another. Maybe there are several "feeder" sites/islands that will allow for a more pivotal key site to be accessed.

    In other words, trying to maintain the freedom and flexibility of the sandbox but with related sites that will build to a certain knowledge or conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Benefactors and Creditors are great ways to shoehorn your group out of the sandbox for a while and into a module or three. I love adventure paths from time-to-time and try to work them into my otherwise "sand-boxy" campaigns. Typically, the group will owe a debt to some NPC or Guild and will be tasked to complete whatever module I have that seems fun, challenging, and/or moody.

    Looking forward to see what you produce JB.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neurodiversity and Dragons - the adventure begins!

I like pie!