More on Magic

I think I’m pretty well sold on using two classes for my base in my campaign world. I think that with a fighting man and a magic user as a base, you can build some pretty interesting characters. What I’m thinking about doing is collapsing the cleric spell list into the magic user spell list. In addition, I’d make some priest spells along the lines of invocations. These invocations would be and appeal to the divine for aid and would fit into much the same pattern as the ritual magic I mentioned in my post yesterday. That would mean that theoretically an invocation to a god could be used by anybody. However, like the ritual magic, there would be a baseline that would affect the chance of success.

Here’s an example of what I’m thinking: Vladamir the bold is agonizing over Carnelia the Bountiful’s grevious wound to her head. He is not a cleric or associated with the church, but has been a more or less respectful adherent to Yzul Haedratha. Vladamir appeals to Yzul to aid his love and battle partner and bring her back from the brink of certain death. Vladamir, not being a truly devout worshiper or clergyman would have a 25% base chance of being favorably disposed to Yzul for aid. Vladamir vows to make a sacrifice to Yzul this increases the appeal by 5%. The sacrifice is something dear to Vladamir, so that increases his chance of aid a further 10%. If Vladamir succeeds in currying divine favor, Yzul will pull Carnelia back from the brink of death and heal 1d4 hp.

So, that is a rough outline and I’d need to work it out a bit more, but that is along the lines of what I’m going for. I want a summoning system that works along the same lines as well as an oracle and augury system. My intent is to has it out a bit further and post up some rule sets for you good folks to peruse.

Comments

  1. I guess the way I would see it is that throughout the roleplaying aspect of the game a player will have to state that they are performing "rituals" or "sacrifices" or whatever the Deity requires to curry favor with them... then, and only in times of extreme duress could a player invoke assistance. I would say that only the most pious would have a 15% chance. The Gods aren't just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring... Me being the DMFH would make the toll of asking for divine intervention pretty high. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, I don't necessarily want god hotline but I am really going for the same sort of feel that Michael Moorcock had in the Eternal Campion books. More specifically, the Elric saga. Elric would call for aid and quite often he would at least get a response from Arioch. Since I'm using a class and level based structure, chances are that an inexperienced character wouldn't have much pull with any sort of powerful beings. However, as they rise in level and if they've been loyal and done things to rise in stading with whatever supernatural entities, then chances are that they will get some sort of aid. I don't see it as being much different than clerics in the game now. Afterall, they do pray and get spells (which are nothing if not a boon from their god).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neurodiversity and Dragons - the adventure begins!

I like pie!