Darkly Fantastic Fantasy

Lots of great gaming stuff coming out for us old schoolers and it looks like more goodness is on the horizon. I just purchased my copies of Lamentations of the Flame Princess Carcosa and Isle of the Unknown today (see here for details). I have been follow the progress of both and am excited to see the fully realized products. I have the original unexpurgated version of Carcosa and enjoyed it. Yes, there are some rather dark descriptions in there, but I felt that it really hit the nail on the head as far as trying to capture the horrific nature of sorcery as described by the likes of H.P Lovecraft, R.E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, and well, you know the stable. Sorcery in those worlds is ugly, evil, and highly ritualized - not the fire and forget spell slinging that seems to be the norm in modern fantasy. At any rate, I'm excited to see James Raggi really giving this a delux treatment.

Another project that is along similar lines as far as dark/weird fantasy is the Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea. I've been following the progress of this project for quite some time and am exstatic that they now have a Kickstarter up to fund the project. If you like dark/weird fantasy, you really owe it to yourself to go check out the project specs here. I'm really looking forward to this so I very much hope it gets funded and gets a green light.

Comments

  1. So, you will be filling your own stocking this year ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, to Daisey's comment. I laugh because I bought a DVD once and then put it in my stocking and told Tim he got it for me.

    And it worked!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neurodiversity and Dragons - the adventure begins!

I like pie!