Social Misfits?

I've read quite a few blog posts and message board posts lately where the topic was someone overhearing some sort of derisive comment about folks who play D&D. I guess that I'm somewhat fortunate that I'm an IT professional and most of the folks in my career field have some hobby that would probably construed as a bit odd by other folks. I play D&D and collect comic books and listen to loud punk rock music. I'm pretty open about it. Well, I don't necessarily broadcast it to the entire world, but I don't hide it either. We have quite a few friends and host social gatherings at my home quite often. Unfortunately, there aren't many D&D gamers in my social circle and the potential gamers and I just can't seem to jive our schedules due to work and family. Perhaps it's because I work in IT, or perhaps it is because I have some published artwork, or perhaps it's because I'm also quite open about being an aging punk rocker, that I'm maybe treated with a little bemusement but not ostracized. In fact, most folks tend to approach me about it and ask (not in a condescending or mocking manner) about my hobbies and think it is cool. I think the combination of my interests has kind of given me a f*ck 'em approach to those that would mock me about it anyway. I suppose it doesn't hurt that I'm a big guy that looks like Grizzly Adams either ;)...

Comments

  1. Hobbies are fun. I never get people who have none. I wonder, how is it that they have no hobbies? Just saw the artwork you and your wife did. Nice colors. Nice work.

    Now ... I'm about to go make brownies. Happy Gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, here Johnathan, listen to Blag Flag, kill some zombies and fuck'em if they make fun of your 20-sided dice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, yeah, I'm glad I don't have to be faced with those situations where it would actually be detrimental to me career wise. Altough as I've pointed out, I work in IT so that's not much of a problem (even if you are a manager in most cases). People expect IT folks to be a little off I guess ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work in an creative environment at work. They know Tim games and that our favorite place is the bookshop. Nobody minds. Besides, they all have open minds and fun hobbies. And boy, can those girls cook. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I work for the Department of the Army in IT, the IT folks tend to be a little less on the traditional geeky side than they would in a civilian IT company. However, most of us are still geeks. Most of them geek out over military history, cars, video games, etc. They actually think what I'm into is cool. Outside of that realm, the folks my wife and I hang out with tend to be the outdoorsy type into hiking, skiing, ect. They don't game but think it is cool that I do. It has been a long time since I've felt stigmatized for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neurodiversity and Dragons - the adventure begins!

I like pie!