Dungeons and Dollar$: $150 Million Gygax biopic?

I was just reading a Geekdad about the proposed $150 million USD biopic based on Gary Gygax's life and work. Reading through some of the details, I'll admit to being pretty bemused by the whole thing. I'd totally love a documentary based upon Gary, Dave Arneson and the early days at TSR but I cannot see that going into the multi-million dollar range. Maybe 1-3 million (and I think that's a stretch). Gary made D&D and we all have been affected by this to greater or lesser degrees. I'm not sure that trying to make a film for the masses is really the way to honor Gary's legacy. I could be wrong, but looking at the guys that's making the movie's screen credits, I'm highly suspicious. And hiring on a big name actor to play Gary? Why not just have interviews with the folks that worked with him like Tim Kask, Frank Mentzer, Jim Ward as well as Gail Gygax, Ernie and Luke, people in the games business, other big names like Vin Deisel and the like? I'm just a bit sceptical I guess, but I'm not going to be holding my breath on this one.

Comments

  1. I just don't think this movie is going to ever get made. Someone I know who works in Hollywood told me that for every 1 film that gets made, there are 10 or more that don't. Now all sorts of people make money on these movies even if they don't get made... sometimes someone will buy an 'option' on a project just because they don't want anyone else to have it... or they just want to sit of the I.P. of a brand or concept in order to keep their options open.

    I'd be very surprised if this ever gets made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, but color me skeptical of the veracity of this "news." News of $150 million being spent on a Gygax biopic is hard enough to swallow. Now, not only is there allegedly a huge star in the lead role, but it's also being scripted by someone whose big claim to fame is having written a handful of episodes for Xena, Hercules, and Cleopatra 2525 - more than 10 years ago? A no-name writer on a $150 million movie? Sorry, but I'm not touching this Kool-Aid with my 10' pole...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neurodiversity and Dragons - the adventure begins!

I like pie!