On a positive note

Tim Brannan over at the Other Side Blog has a pretty good post about what is right about the OSR. It’s a good take after some of the negative floating around for the last few days. At any rate, what really appeals to me about the things going on with the whole hobbyist gaming thing is the energy. The DIY nature of it all appeals to me. It really reminds me a lot of my youth when I was really into the punk rock scene. There is a very vital and raw sense of energy, of anything goes, that is very reminiscent of that time for me. I’m sure it’s different for everyone, but I like the various takes, I like the raw and unpolished clip art and photocopy stuff all the way to the polished professional stuff. That’s not to say all of it is GOOD in the sense that it is something I’d dump my current game for; but in most cases, I’ll find at least one good idea or piece of art or something there that I can take away. I’m easily amused I suppose. Yeah, there’s a lot of wild stuff out there. Sometimes I want something just short, gritty and sweet like the Minutemen or say Swords of Arathnor. Other times I want edgy and in your face like Fear or Lamentations of the Flame Princess. Or light but hard hitting like the Ramones or Labyrinth Lord. Sometimes just great straight ahead rocking out like Social Distortion or OSRIC. Well, you get the idea. I know we all have our own takes, likes and dislikes, etc. I know people get passionate about this stuff and that’s why there is some really great stuff out there. It really reminds me of the energy and passion that I felt when I was a kid gaming and hanging out in the punk scene. Anyone could create their own band and either disappear into obscurity or take on the world. Keep it comin!

Comments

  1. Swords of Arathnor is the Minutemen of OSR? That might be what gets me to buy the game ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's enough room for everything to be sure. While I apparently missed most of the static (which generally happens--I don't tend to frequent the places where that level of discussion takes place) I can imagine how it came down.

    I write the stuff I think is interesting. I'm gratified when other people find it of interest, and I'm pleased when I find stuff interesting that other people do while doing what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Higgipedia - for $8, Savage Swords of Athanor is definitely worth it. I know LotfP and Carcosa get all the spot light, but Arathnor is definitely worth a look. If nothing else, the class and skill ideas are well worth the price of admission. Like a Minutemen song, a lot is packed into a small package. We go econo!

    @Trey - I think there is quite a bit of room for everything. I should keep away from the drama and not participate. I think the City is an incredibly compelling setting and I can't wait to see it in its completed form.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neurodiversity and Dragons - the adventure begins!

I like pie!