Basalt Keep of Wilven the Yellow Update

I want to expand a little on yesterday’s topic of having shared touch stones in OSR projects. There is some really cool stuff going on with megadungeons like Stonehell as well as Zak Smith’s Gigacrawler shared world. I’m very interested in those projects. I’d like to have some shared resources as well. Think something like the Eternal city of Tanelorn that was open sourced so everyone could use it. It could make an appearance in Gigacrawler or in Stonehell or in whatever campaign. Again, I interested in people, places and or things that are free to use in other settings. I really like the idea of being able to pick up a module and seeing Baba Yaga’s Hut in Greyhawk as well as it appearing in someplace like the Wilderlands or someone’s mythic Russia campaign.

I’m going to open source my Basalt Keep for just that purpose. I’ve almost finished with most of the maps of the Keep itself. What I intend is that the Keep is essentially a temporal/spatial hopping artifact. I’m going to detail a few of the main areas of the keep. It’s fairly large – four main floors to the keep itself, a tower with six levels, and so far two sub levels that lead to an underground section. Much like any other artifact, it’s got a bit of a back story. So I’d like to treat it along the lines of Baba Yaga’s hut, a big artifact that has the potential to appear in other planes, campaigns, whatever. So instead of playing in someone else’s world, this would be a little piece that could suddenly appear and disappear from one’s campaign as you wish.

I’ll be posting more soon on the Basalt Keep. I’ve also got some ideas for more things that I want to open source but I’m also interested in what others are doing. Anyone else got any neat artifacts, locations, gods, etc that they want to share? I’m really liking what is going on so far in the OSR (I can’t wait for James Maliszeski’s Petty Gods). It’ll be nice to have some more cool blocks available in the pool for all of us to share.

Comments

  1. When you are ready, we'd like to see about possibly running a session in Zalchis using your Basalt Keep, just to get things started...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me. I've got most of the maps finished. I'll need to flesh out the map keys. Ultimately, I'd like to leave room for someone to tailor it to their needs. More to follow soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're working on a few things that you might find fun/interesting as well and tht we're going to likewise designate Open Source gaming-resources/touchstones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! I'd love to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neurodiversity and Dragons - the adventure begins!

I like pie!